WBPSC Solved Previous Year Paper
1. The ratio of two number is 4:5 and their L.C.M. is 100. Determine their sum ?
2. Which of the following is a Vector quantity ?
3. The character ?James Bond? was created by
(A) Ian Fleming
(B) Harold Robins
(C) James Hadley Chase
(D) Jules Verne
4. The author of ?Padatik? is
(A) Sukanta Bhattacharyay
(B) Kazi Nazrul Islam
(C) Arun Mitra
(D) Subhash Mukhopadhyay
5. Name the first democratically elected President of Egypt
(A) Mohammed Morsi
(B) Hosni Mubarak
(C) Muammar Gaddafi
(D) Ali Abdullah Saleh
6. In which district of West Bengal did ?Chhow? dance originate
(A) Uttar Dinajpur
(B) West Midnapore
7. In an Election for a Panchayat, there were two candidates. A total of 9820 votes were polled. 110 votes were declared invalid. The successful candidate got 6 votes for every 4 votes his opponent had. The margin did the successful candidate win
8. A Certain work can be done by A and B in 6 days, by B and C in 12 days. If C, alone can do the same work in 36 days then how long will it take to finish the work by. working A, B and C together ?
(A) 5 days
(B) 5 days
(C) 5 days
(D) 5 days
9. Mammary glands are modification of
(A) Sweat gland
(B) Sebaceous gland
(C) Salivary gland
(D) Lacrimal gland
10. An atom of an element differs from an atom of one of its isotopes in the number of
(A) Neutrons in the nucleus
(B) Protons in the nucleus
(C) Valence electrons
(D) Protons outside the nucleus
11. ?Bhrantibilas? is a novel by
(A) Iswarcandra Vidyasagar
(B) Debendranath Tagore
(C) Rammohan Roy
(D) Azizul Haque
12. Unit of Wave length is
13. According to the Right to Education Act and the recent verdict of the Supreme Court, what percentage of children have to be provided free education in private schools ?
14. What is the average rate of growth of the Indian economy during the 11th Plan Period ?
15. Which emperor has been called ?Napoleon of India? ?
(D) Chandragupta II Vikramaditya
16. Which of the following acid can dissolve gold ?
17. It has to pay Rs. 225/- as bill when 9 bulbs are used for 30 days using them for 4 hours per day. Find the number of days if 5 bulbs are used for 6 hours per day for the payment of Rs. 375/- against the bill.
18. What type of new Public Sector Bank is proposed set up in the 2013-14 Union Budget of India ?
(A) Agricultural Bank
(B) Industrial Bank
(C) Commercial Bank
(D) Women?s Bank
19. Ustad Amzad Ali Khan is associated with
20. The compound interest on a certain sum for 2 years is Rs. 410/- and the simple interest for the same period is Rs. 400/-. The rate of interest is
21. In 2012, the WHO declared India to be free from which disease ?
(A) Small Pox
(D) Chicken Pox
22. Which Dam is currently at the centre of a controversy tween Kerala and Tamil Nadu ?
(A) Nagarjunasagar Dam
(B) Mullaperyar Dam
(C) Perunchani Dam
(D) Mettur Dam
23. ?Anna Karenina? was composed by
24. Which of the following pairs is from the same group periodic table ?
(A) Mg, Ca
(B) Mg, K
(C) Mg, Cu
(D) Mg, I
25. The compound interest, calculated yearly, on a certain sum of money for the second year is Rs. 800/- and for the third year is Rs. 864/-. The rate of interest will be
WBPSC – West Bengal Public Service Commission (WBPSC) Sample Paper Containing Previous Year Aptitude Solved Question Paper on General Knowledge
WBPSC Sample Paper
1. Who wrote the ? Saheb Bibi Golam? ?
(A) Bimal Kar
(B) Subodh Ghosh
(C) Ramapada Chbudhury
(D) Bimal Mitra
2. ? Ode to the west Wind? is written by :
(A) P. B. Shelly
(B) W. Wordsworth
(C) T.S. Eliot
(D) John Keats
3. Who granted Diwani to the English East India Company ?
(B) Bahadur Shah-II
(D) Shah Aiam II
4. River Narmada flows through a
(A) Fault trough
(D) Fold mountain
5. Amongest the states of India lowest sex ratio is found in :
(D) Madhya Pradesh
6. In the red light a lens has a focal length 25 cm. In blue light, the probable focal length will be :
(A) 25.5 cm.
(B) 24.5 cm.
(D) 35 cm.
7. The elements which liberates oxygen gas from water is :
8. Which acid of the following is the strongest ? :
9. In balanced diet the ratio of carbohydrate, fat and protein must be :
(A) 2 : 1 : 3
(B) 2 : 3 : 1
(C) 5 : 6 : 1
(D) 2 : 1 : 1
10. In an examination, 80% examinees passed in English, 70% passed in Maths, and 150 examinees passed in both the subjects. If all the examinees passed at least in one subject, then find out the total number of examinees :
11. A man sends 0.15 part of his monthly income for study of his son, 0.8 part of the rest income for other expenditure of his familiy and then he makes his ?savings with the rest part. If his savings in a month is Rs. 425, then find out his monthly income,
(A) Rs. 2,700
(B) Rs. 2,500
(C) Rs. 3,500
(D) Rs. 2600
12. Cyclones of Bay of Bengal are studied with the help of :
(A) Topographical Maps
(B) Satellite Imageries
(D) Oxford Atlas
13. A train passes 45 km. in an hour. The train pased away two posts consecutively within 10 sesonds. Find out the distance between the two posts .
(A) 170 m.
(B) 250 m.
(C) 200 m.
(D) 150 m.
14. A boatman started for a 36 km. distant place and came back again. The time of return was 1 hr. more than the time of reaching . Speed of current was 3 km./hr.. Then find out the speed of the boat in still water,
(A) 15 km./ hr
(B) 16 km./ hr
(C) 18 km./ hr
(D) 17 km./ hr
15. In which country has recently been suspended by the African Union after the army forced out the Prasident and installed the opposition leader in his place ?
16. Who has been appointed to oversee and guide the board of Satyam Computer Service throughout the bidding process ?
(A) Vivek Kundra
(B) Justice Guman mal Lodha
(C) Justice S.P Bharucha
(D) Sharat Sabrawal
17. In Austrian Open Tennis Tournament of 2008 Women?s singles title went to :
(A) Ana Ivanochiv
(B) Serena Williams
(C) Maria Sharapova
(D) Venus Wlliums
18. The play ? Bhalo Manush? was directed by :
(A) Rudra Prasad Sengupta
(B) Sambhu Mitra
(C) Radharaman Tpadar
(D) Ajitesh Bandyopadhyaya
19. Kathakali dance developed in the state :
(B) Tamil Nadu
(D) Andhra Pradesh
20. Who wrote ?Sahaj Path? ?
(A) Abanindranath Tagore
(B) Rabindranath Tagore
(C) Iswarchandra Vidyasagar
(D) Madhusudan Dutta
21. Who is known as Indian Nepoleon ?
(A) Chandra Gupta II
(B) Chandra Gupta
(C) Samudra Gupta
(D) Saknda Gupta
22. In which year was the Gandhi Irwin Pact signed ?
23. The words Socialist and Secular have been incorporated in the preamble to the Constitution of India :
24. The judges of the Supreme Court are appointed by :
(A) The Chief justice of India
(B) The president
(C) The Prime Minister
(D) The law Minister
25. Who is the current Chairman of the Planning Commission of India ?
(A) Montek Singh Ahluwalia
(B) Dr. Monmohan Singh
(C) Sonia Gandhi
(D) Pranab Mukherjee
26. Which of the following recently approached the Supreme Court to decide on the issue of negative vote in elections
(A) Association for Pepole?s Democratic Rights
(B) Pepoles? Union for Civil Liberites
(C) The Election Commission
(D) The president of india
27. In 2006 World Cup Soccer Tournament the champion team was
28. Hariprasd Chourasia is famous for :
(A) Sitar recital
(B) Flute recital
(C) Sarod recital
(D) Santoor rectial
29. Who was famous for portraying the character of King Oedipus ?
(A) Utpal Dutta
(B) Ashoke Mukhopadhyaya
(C) Bibhas Chakarbarty
(D) Sambhu Mitra
30. Who is the author of Treasure Island? ?
(A) Sidney Sheldon
(B) Arthur Miller
(C) R.L. Stevenson
(D) Solman Rushdi
31. ?Sal? is a type of :
(A) Coniferous tree
(B) Evergreen tree
(D) Deciduous tree
32. ? Green Revolution? in India was first introduced in :
(A) Rice Producing area of West Bengal
(B) Wheat producing area of Punjab
(C) Millet producing area of western Ghats
(D) Sugar producing area of Bihar
33. In simple haemonic motion, the kinetic energy:
(A) is never zero
(B) is zero in the mean position
(C) is twice zero in every period
(D) always remain equal
34. Has chlorine any isotpe ?
35. Which is paramagnetic ?
WBPSC Solved Question Paper
1. Who is the chairman of NABARD?
(A) Prakash Bakshi
(B) C. Rangarajan
(C) C. B. Bhave
(D) None of the above
2. Monocot flowers and dicot flowers differ in
(A) Monocot flowers are larger than those of dicot
(B) Monocot flowers possess no smell
(C) Monocot flowers possess no nectaries
(D) Monocot flowers are not coloured
3. Who is known as the father of White Revolution in India
(A) Verghese Kurien
(B) M. S. Swaminathan
(C) P. G. Bantol
(D) Sam Pitroda
4. What is the maximum gap allowed between two parliamentary sessions?
A) Four months
B) Three months
C) Six months
D) Six weeks
5. ?Bhuban Shome? is composed by
(C) Manik Bandyopadhyaya
6. Ions are formed from neutral atoms by
(A) gain of electron
(B) loss of electron
(C) loss or gain of electron
(D) sharing of electron
7. At first the income of a person is reduced by 50%. Then his income is increased by 50%. What is the percentage increase or decrease of his income?
(A) Decrease 25%
(B) Increase 25%
(C) Increase 75%
(D) No change
8. The Constituent Assembly was formed on the basis
(A) Cripps Mission, 1942
(B) Wavell Plans, 1945
(C) Cabinet Mission Plan, 1946
(D) Mountbatten Plan, 1947
9. How many silver medals did India win in London Olympics, 2012?
10. ?Adonais? is written by
(A) Lord Tennyson
(B) P.B. Shelley
(C) Jhon Keats
(D) John Milton
11. Tick out the odd combination
(A) Cu, Ag, Au
(B) Na, K, Rb
(C) Zn, Cd, Hg
(D) F, Si, I
12. Which is the only union territory to have its own Court ?
(A) Andaman and Nicobar Islands
(B) Daman and Diu
13. Applying pulling force a string of rubber is increased by 40% and then force is withdrawn. What percentage of length is decreased to regain its original configuration?
(B) 34 %
(C) 32 %
14. ?Vanishing colour? may be prepared by mixing pheolphthalein with
(A) carbon dioxide water
(B) sulphurous acid
(C) dilute solution of caustic soda
(D) dilute ammonia solution
15. Who wrote the ?Ain-i-Akbari??
(A) Abul Fazal
(D) Gulbadan Begum
16. What is the main function of the Finance Commission ?
(A) Reviewing of National Plan from time to time
(B) Distribution of revenues between Union and States
(C) Inquiring into and advising upon disputes arising between two States.
(D) Formulation of Plans for all round development
17. Which country does the present Pope Francis belong to ?
18. Who was the inspiration behind ?Young Bengal? Movement ?
(A) Madhusudan Dutt
(B) Henry Louis Vivian Derozio
(C) Krishnamohan Baneijee
(D) Ramgopal Ghosh
19. Saturated hydrocarbons are termed paraffins because
(A) they are much less reactive
(B) they are highly reactive
(C) they are insoluble in water
(D) they are noncombustible
20. Why are Fundamental Rights different from Directive Principles?
(A) Fundamental Rights are not bindings upon States and its agencies
(B) Fundamental Rights are enforceable in Courts of Law and Directive Principles are not
(C) Directive Principles are enforceable in Courts of Law and Fundamental Rights are not
(D) Directive Principles are binding upon States
21. Mary Kom won the bronze medal in the London 2012 Olympics for which event ?
(A) Women?s heavy weight Boxing
(B) Women?s 60 kg freestyle Boxing
(C) Women?s fly weight Boxing
(D) None of the above
22. Who is called ?Sher-i-Punjab? ?
(A) Ranjit Singh
(B) Amar Singh
(C) Lala Lajpat Rai
(D) Bhagat Singh
23. Water gas is a mixture of
(A) CO, CH4 and C2H2
(B) CO, CO2 and methane
(C) CO and H2
(D) CO and N2
24. The words ?Secular? and ?Socialist? has been added to the Preamble by which amendment ?
(A) 45th amendment, 1980
(B) 42nd amendment, 1976
(C) 44th amendment, 1978
(D) 43rd amendment, 1977
25. The difference between the greatest and lowest numbers formed out of the four digits 8, 9, 0, 7 is
26. ?Kuchipudi? dance originated in
(C) Andhra Pradesh
27. Jhelum is an important river of
(A) Jammu and Kashmir
28. Acid rains occur due to
(A) Presence of C02 in the atmosphere
(B) Presence of CO and CO2 in the atmosphere
(C) Presence of Ozone in the atmosphere
(D) Presence of S02 and S03 in the atmosphere
29. A, B and C gain Rs. 3,500/- from a joint stock business. If the ratio of the capitals of A and B be 5:2 and that of B and C be 3:2, determine A?s share in profit.
(A) Rs. 2,100/-
(B) Rs. 840/-
(C) Rs. 560/-
(D) Rs. 600/-
30. An A.C. machine is priced at Rs. 15,000/- and is Sold at a discount of 10%. There is a further off-season discount of 5% on the net amount. The customer pay
(A) Rs. 14,000/-
(B) Rs. 13,000/-
(C) Rs. 12,825/-
(D) Rs. 12,500/-
WBPSC Solved Exam Paper
1. A trader has written 20% excess price on a saree but while selling it, gives a 5% discount. Profit is
2. The simplest value of
3. The river Ajoy flows between
(A) Damodar and Rupnarayan
(B) Rupnarayan and Kangsabati
(C) Subamarekha and Rupnarayan
(D) Damodar and Mayurakshi
4. Which of the following is most harmful for human being?
(D) Light rays
5. Which was the longest Grand Slam Singles Final in thenistory of Lawn Tennis?
(A) French Open
(C) U.S. Open
(D) Australian Open
6. In which year the ?GreatEscape? of Subhas Chandra took place?
(A) 1939 A.D.
(B) 1940 A.D.
(C) 1941 A.D.
(D) 1942 A.D.
7. What is the colour of the ring of the Olympic Flag that represents Asia?
8. Which territories of India were first liberated from British rule and renamed as ?Sahid? and ?Swaraj??
(C) Andaman and Nicobar Islands
9. Which one of the following insects is the carrier of microfilaria
(B) Culex mosquito
(C) Anopheles mosquito
(D) Aedes mosquito
10. At what rate of interest will Rs. 360/- amount to Rs. 522/- in 5 years?
(B) 8 %
11. Who was the first captain of Independent India?s Olympic Football team?
(A) P. K. Banerjee
(B) Chuni Goswami
(C) Sailen Manna
(D) Talimeren Ao
12. The highest peak in India is
13. Ascariasis spread through
(A) Polluted air
(B) Polluted water
(C) Contaminated food
14. At what rate will the interest on Rs. 900/- in 4 years be equal to the interest on Rs. 720/- in 6 years at 5% per annum?
(D) 6 %
15. The largest town on the river Ganga is
16. Which team won the IPL Season V trophy in 2012?
(A) Mumbai Indians
(B) Chennai Super Kings
(C) Kokata Knight Riders
(D) Delhi Daredevils
17. The highest plateau in India is
18. For measuring flow of current, the device is used
19. Which of the following has no green house effect?
20. A train 280 meters long is moving at speed of 60 km./hr. The time (second) taken by the train to cross a platform 220 meters long is
21. Rourkela iron and steel industry is located on the nver
22. ?Brajeswar? and ?Prafulla? are the characters from
(D) Devi Chowdhurani
23. Some people can do three-seventh of a work in 28 days. To finish the rest of work in 21 days 14 more people were appointed. Determine the number of those people who were appointed initially.
24. What is the greatest presquare number of 7265?
25. What is the unit of power?
(A) Half life
26. India?s earliest contact with Islam came through
(A) Arab invasion of Sindh
(B) Turkish invasion
(C) Sufi saints and Arab travellers
(D) Arab merchants of Malabar Coast
27. Yehudi Menuhin became a world famous musician by playing
28. The film ?The adventures of Tintin? is directed by
(A) Steve Jones
(B) Steven Speilberg
(D) Charlie Chaplin
29. The greatest number of 33 % of 4, 2% of 5000, 45% of 200.8, 121 is
(A) 33 % of 4
(B) 2% of 5000
(C) 45% of 200.8
30. ?IAGO? is a character of the drama
(B) Arms and the Man
31. What is the unit of volume in CGS system?
32. ?A Tale of Two Cities? was written by
(A) Sir Walter Scott
(B) Charles Dickens
(C) R. L. Stevenson
(D)T. S. Eliot
33. A person weighs 80 Kg. By morning walk, at the beginning of each year, he decreases 5% weight. His weight after 3 years will be
(A) 68 Kg.
(B) 68.75 Kg.
(C) 68.59 Kg.
(D) 68.50 Kg.
34. In still water the actual speed of a boat is 10 km./hr. and the speed of the river-current is 4 km./hr. What time will it take to cover a distance of 30 km. against the current?
(A) 2 hrs.
(B) 3 hrs.
(D) 5 hrs.
35. The simplest value of (0.25)^2 + (0.25)^1/2 × (0.5)^3
36. ?Frankenstein? is
(A) A film by Alfred Hitchcock
(B) A novel by Mary Shelley
(C) A detective story by Conan Doyle
(D) A short story by O. Henry
37. ?Harshabardhan?and ?Gobardhan? ? these two characters are created by
A) Narayan Debnath
(B) Narayan Gangopadhyaya
(C) Shibram Chakraborty
(D) Shaila Chakraborty
38. Due to rotten fish a fish trader forces loss. If the purchase value is Rs. 250/-, the selling price will be
(A) Rs. 220/-
(B) Rs. 230/-
(C) Rs. 225/-
(D) Rs. 235/-
39. Each ofA and B got 8 wickets for 28 runs. Afterwards A got one wicket for 35 runs and B got 4 wickets for 56 runs. Whose average of getting wicket was better?
(A) A is better
(B) B is better
(C) A and B are same
(D) None of the above
40. Ductless glands secrete
(B) Tissue fluid
41. The Ular lake is situated to the
(A) North east of Srinagar
(B) North west of Srinagar
(C) South east of Srinagar
(D) South west of Srinagar
42. Who is the first Indian to hit a Triple century in Test Cricket?
(A) Virender Sehwag
(B) VVS Laxman
(C) Sachin Tendulkar
(D) Sunil Gavaskar
43. The largest steel plant in India is
44. The organ related to locomotion in Amoeba sp. is
45. In a box there are 378 coins combining 1 rupee, 50 and 25 paise coins. The ratio of their values is 13:11:7. Determine the number of 25 paise coins.