JP Morgan Placement Paper
1. Two trains running in opposite directions cross a man standing onthe platform in 27 seconds and 17 seconds respectively and they crosseach other in 23 seconds. The ratio of their speeds is:
Ans : 3 : 2
2. A alone can do a piece of work in 6 days and B alone in 8 days. A andB undertook to do it for Rs. 3200. With the help of C, they completedthe work in 3 days. How much is to be paid to C?
Ans : Rs. 400
3. 4 men and 6 women can complete a work in 8 days, while 3 men and7 women can complete it in 10 days. In how many days will 10 womencomplete it?
Ans : 40
4. The angle of elevation of a ladder leaning against a wall is 60º andthe foot of the ladder is 4.6 m away from the wall. The length of theladder is:
Ans : 9.2 m
5. There is 60% increase in an amount in 6 years at simple interest.What will be the compound interest of Rs. 12,000 after 3 years at thesame rate?
Ans : Rs. 3972
6. What percentage of numbers from 1 to 70 have 1 or 9 in the unit’sdigit?
Ans : 20
7. A watch which gains 5 seconds in 3 minutes was set right at 7a.m. Inthe afternoon of the same day, when the watch indicated quarter past4 o’clock, the true time is:
Ans : 4 p.m.
8. 66 cubic centimetres of silver is drawn into a wire 1 mm in diameter.The length of the wire in metres will be:
Ans : 84
9. The difference between a two-digit number and the numberobtained by interchanging the digits is 36. What is the differencebetween the sum and the difference of the digits of the number if theratio between the digits of the number is 1 : 2 ?
Ans : 8
10. If one-third of one-fourth of a number is 15, then three-tenth of that number is:
Ans : 54
11. The price of 10 chairs is equal to that of 4 tables. The price of 15chairs and 2 tables together is Rs. 4000. The total price of 12 chairs and3 tables is:
Ans : Rs. 3900
12. A motorboat, whose speed in 15 km/hr in still water goes 30 kmdownstream and comes back in a total of 4 hours 30 minutes. Thespeed of the stream (in km/hr) is:
Ans : 5
13. A boat can travel with a speed of 13 km/hr in still water. If thespeed of the stream is 4 km/hr, find the time taken by the boat to go 68km downstream.
Ans : 4 hours
14. A man can row at 5 kmph in still water. If the velocity of current is 1kmph and it takes him 1 hour to row to a place and come back, how faris the place?
Ans : 2.4 km
15. A boatman goes 2 km against the current of the stream in 1 hourand goes 1 km along the current in 10 minutes. How long will it take togo 5 km in stationary water?
Ans : 1 hr 15 min
16. Speed of a boat in standing water is 9 kmph and the speed of thestream is 1.5 kmph. A man rows to a place at a distance of 105 km andcomes back to the starting point. The total time taken by him is:A
Ans : 24 hours
17. A man rows to a place 48 km distant and come back in 14 hours. Hefinds that he can row 4 km with the stream in the same time as 3 kmagainst the stream. The rate of the stream is:
Ans : 1 km/hr
18. Two numbers are respectively 20% and 50% more than a thirdnumber. The ratio of the two numbers is:
Ans : 4 : 5
19. Seats for Mathematics, Physics and Biology in a school are in theratio 5 : 7 : 8. There is a proposal to increase these seats by 40%, 50%and 75% respectively. What will be the ratio of increased seats?
Ans : 2 : 3 : 4
20. In a mixture 60 litres, the ratio of milk and water 2 : 1. If the thisratio is to be 1 : 2, then the quanity of water to be further added is:
Ans : 60 litres
21. The sum of three numbers is 98. If the ratio of the first to second is2 :3 and that of the second to the third is 5 : 8, then the second numberis:
Ans : 30
22. A and B take part in 100 m race. A runs at 5 kmph. A gives B a startof 8 m and still beats him by 8 seconds. The speed of B is:
Ans : 4.14 kmph
23. In a 100 m race, A beats B by 10 m and C by 13 m. In a race of 180m, B will beat C by:
Ans : 6 m
24. In a game of 100 points, A can give B 20 points and C 28 points.Then, B can give C:
Ans : 10 points
25. A can run 22.5 m while B runs 25 m. In a kilometre race B beats Aby:
Ans : 100 m
26. In a 300 m race A beats B by 22.5 m or 6 seconds. B’s time over thecourse is:
Ans : 80 sec
27. In a 100 m race, A can beat B by 25 m and B can beat C by 4 m. Inthe same race, A can beat C by:
Ans : 28 m
28. If Rs. 10 be allowed as true discount on a bill of Rs. 110 due at theend of a certain time, then the discount allowed on the same sum dueat the end of double the time is:
Ans : Rs. 18.33
29. The true discount on a bill due 9 months hence at 16% per annum isRs. 189. The amount of the bill is:
Ans : Rs. 1764
30. The true discount on Rs. 1760 due after a certain time at 12% perannum is Rs. 160. The time after which it is due is:
Ans : 10 months
31. Rs. 20 is the true discount on Rs. 260 due after a certain time. Whatwill be the true discount on the same sum due after half of the formertime, the rate of interest being the same?
Ans : Rs. 10.40
32. The interest on Rs. 750 for 2 years is the same as the true discounton Rs. 960 due 2 years hence. If the rate of interest is the same in bothcases, it is:
Ans : 14%
33. 396, 462, 572, 427, 671, 264
Ans : 427
34. 16, 25, 36, 72, 144, 196, 225
Ans : 72
35. In a box, there are 8 red, 7 blue and 6 green balls. One ball is pickedup randomly. What is the probability that it is neither red nor green?
Ans : 1/3